Jewish Studies Major
Students must also complete the Undergraduate Registration Requirement and the degree requirements of their home school.
- Complete or place out of :
Course List Course Title HEBREW 121-1
& HEBREW 121-2
& HEBREW 121-3
and Hebrew II
and Hebrew II
Major Requirements (12 units)
- 2 courses chosen from third-year Hebrew (HEBREW 216-1, HEBREW 216-2, HEBREW 216-3), courses in the Department of Religious Studies on classical Jewish texts in Hebrew, or other courses in Hebrew literature read in Hebrew
- RELIGION 230-0 Introduction to Judaism
- 1 course covering the biblical period, such as RELIGION 220-0 Introduction to Hebrew Bible
- 1 course covering the rabbinic period
- 2 courses covering the postrabbinic periods (post-800 CE), such as:
Course List Course Title HISTORY 203-1 Jewish History 750-1492 HISTORY 203-2 Jewish History 1492-1789 HISTORY 348-1 Jews in Poland, Ukraine, and Russia HISTORY 348-2 Jews in Poland, Ukraine, and Russia HISTORY 349-0 History of the Holocaust
- 5 additional courses counting for major or minor credit in Jewish studies; may include third-year courses in Hebrew and Yiddish
- At least 6 courses must be at the 300 level
- At least 1 must be from the history department
- At least 1 must be in literature
Honors in Jewish Studies
Majors with strong academic records and an interest in pursuing honors should submit a written proposal in spring quarter of junior year. Accepted students take JWSH_ST 399-0 Independent Study with their thesis adviser in fall and winter of senior year; 1 quarter may count toward the major. Alternatively, students may enroll in a 3-quarter-long seminar in a relevant department. Those interested in this option should consult with the relevant department, the anticipated thesis adviser, and the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
Students whose theses and grades meet program criteria are recommended to the college for graduation with honors. For more information contact the director of undergraduate studies and see Honors in the Major.
Relevant Courses in Other Departments
Additional Jewish studies courses are offered by many departments and programs. This list is partial and in some cases, only certain sections of a course may count toward Jewish Studies. Please see the Jewish Studies website for up-to-date information and/or consult with the DUS.