Returning to the University

Readmission to the University

Undergraduate students who have not registered for one or more quarters of an academic year must file an application to reenter with their school dean’s office no later than six weeks before the first day of registration of the quarter in which they plan to return. Students who seek credit for course work taken at another institution must submit an official transcript to the Office of the Registrar, as well as have the transfer credit approved by relevant Northwestern departments and officials in their home schools.

Application to reenter is not required if students have registered during the spring quarter and intend to return in the fall.

If a student interrupts a program of study for an extended period of time and degree requirements are changed during this period, the new requirements normally must be met. Any modification of the requirements is made by the appropriate administrative officers of the school in which the student is registered.